The Club was set up nearly 40 years ago with the main aim of promoting and encouraging the knowledge, skills and enjoyment of gardening. The Club does this in a number of ways throughout the year.
- It arranges monthly talks on the 3rd Monday of the month at West Wickham Village Hall from September to April on a wide variety of subjects from particular plant species to gardening techniques, from individual gardens to the history of gardening.
- The Club produces an occasional newsletter for members giving advice on plants, problems, gardens to visit etc.
- In the summer months there are evening visits to gardens in the local area, members’ gardens and possibly a longer day trip by coach further afield. There may be more informal garden or nursery visits during the year as well.
- In May each year we hold our renowned Plant Sale on a Saturday morning.
- The Club has held an Annual Show for many years, usually in August, where there is friendly competition in classes that include vegetables, cut flowers, cookery and photography. The Club is exploring new ways to take this forward.
- The Club has an account with a leading seed company that means that seeds can be purchased at a discount. Discounts are also available from a local nursery and a supplier of compost, mulch etc.
- The Club is affiliated to the Royal Horticultural Society. Club members can get a 50% discount at any RHS garden (Bridgewater, Harlow Carr, Hyde Hall, Rosemoor & Wisley). The Club can access their advice service free of charge.
Subscriptions for 2023/24 are £8.00. If you wish to bring a friend along to a meeting there is a visitor fee of £2.00
Monday evening talks are held in West Wickham Village Hall, starting at 7.30pm.
Monday 18 September: Annual General Meeting.
Monday 16 October: Orchids: in general and how to grow the commoner types. Talk by Huw Richards of the Cambridge Orchid Society.
Monday 20 November: The science of pollination. Talk by Hamish Symington of Cambridge University.
Monday 18 December: Pre-Christmas social evening and demonstration – how to make a Christmas table decoration.
Monday 15 January: My family and other irises. Talk by Lucy Skellorn of Foster Irises.
Monday 19 February: Companion planting for a balanced garden. Talk by Dr Ian Bedford.
Monday 18 March: Twelve tremendous trees. Talk by Gwenda Kyd.
Monday 15 April: Asian Woodland Plants. Talk by Helen Chen of Japonica Plants Nursery.
Saturday 18 May. PLANT SALE. 10.30 – 12.00. West Wickham Village Hall. Flowers, shrubs, vegetables, herbs, something for everyone plus friendly people and expert advice. PAYMENT BY CASH OR CHEQUE ONLY.
General enquiries (email) firstname.lastname@example.org
Chair: Sue Boase. Tel: 07716 401646
GARDENING WITH CLIMATE CHANGE. What we can do!
This was a unique opportunity to find out how climate change is impacting our gardening, and how we can adapt. The day was jointly organised by local gardening clubs in Cambridgeshire, Suffolk and Essex, held on Saturday 12 August 2023 at West Wickham Village Hall. It featured Speakers * Plant sales * Discussions * Exhibits * Wildlife demonstrations * Book sales * Children’s activities * Refreshments *. Admission was free.
For further information on the legacy from the event please go to https://climatechangegardening.org/